Luoyang orphanage, Henan province
This is a huge orphanage with over 200 older children in residence, some of them with more severe disabilities. The building and facilities are in poor shape, including a hot water heating system that is old and doesn't function well, and thus they cannot afford to fund many of the basic items needed by their older orphans and asked The LOOK Project for assistance. Thanks to many amazing and big-hearted donors, LOOK was able to meet all of the following needs for the children!
- 13 wheelchairs for non-ambulatory older children, some that were custom-made
according to the needs of a specific child (for instance, a chair that provided extra
head and upper body support for a child with cerebral palsy)
- eye exams and eyeglasses for a 10 year old boy and a 10 year old girl
- treatment/therapy and prosthetic limbs for two children who lost limbs prior to
their arrival at the orphanage. One was a 14-year old girl whose left upper arm was
cut off in an accident involving machinery when she was very young - she was supplied
with an artificial limb. The other was an 18-year old boy who had been using crutches
for years because he lost his leg following an infection. He was supplied with a
lower artificial limb and therapy so that he could walk without crutches.
- 86 desks and chairs to assist the children in their studies
- 26 bicycles for riding to school and/or for exercise for the children